If you have just started with Dynamics 365, then I think the following article will be a good point to begin with. There are too many links out there and too much of information floating around and I needed a point to begin with. Here is a summary of overall idea behind Dynamics 365, which I could gather and I hope it helps you too.
It is a cloud based business application
- In other words, it is a collection of applications that is called Microsoft Dynamics 365.
- It means you do not have to install anything on your servers or on your premise, i.e. you do not need to invest in all those costly infrastructures. All you need is an internet connection and a browser to access the applications and start managing your business.
- So, it is a complete cloud based Business Application.
It is flexible, extensible and mobile
- Dynamics 365 is flexible because you do not have to take the entire suite of Dynamics 365 to run your business. In case you just need to start with one business function then you can take that function in Dynamics 365 and start using it. You can add new business functions to your deployment as and when needed.
- Dynamics 365 comes with a lot of out of the box functionalities which you can use instantly for your business, however, it is extensible as well, which means if you have any specific requirements which are not available in Dynamics 365, then the system is capable to extend its functionalities, i.e. you can build those functionalities in the system and you can even integrate it with other systems to make sure you have an entire solution.
- Dynamics 365 is mobile, which means you do not have to depend upon your Laptop, Desktop or PCs, but you can also access it via Tablets and Smart Phones. So, you can access Dynamics 365 and manage your business as and when required.
It is a combination of ERP and CRM functionalities
- It means that everything you need to manage your Enterprise Resources, it is available in Dynamics 365 and anything that is required to manage your Customers is available in Dynamics 365 as well.
ERP – Financials & Operations
- In ERP, we have Financials and Operations. Financials is used for small and medium sized companies where they need a quick solution to get started and manage their entire business in cloud.
- In case your company is big or a large organization then you need Operations, which provides entire solution for your business.
CRM – Sales, Marketing, Service, Field Service & Project Service
- Customer Relationship Management provides you with Sales, Marketing, Service, Field Service and Project Service automation.
It works best with analysis tools such as Power BI and Cortana for intelligent analysis
- Every company needs dashboard and intelligence to their business so that they can make quick and informed decisions.
- So, Dynamics 365 integrated with Power BI and Cortana well so that it gives intelligence to your business.
It works best for Small, Medium and Large Enterprises
- This essentially means any company can use Dynamics 365.
So, in a nutshell this is what Dynamics 365 is all about. Now you can go ahead and get into the nitty gritty of its features. It looks cool by the way J